Here we have share UP Board Solutions for Class 10 English Supplementary Reader Chapter 1 The Inventor Who Kept His Promise. These solutions are solved by subjects experts.
UP Board Solutions for Class 10 English Supplementary Reader Chapter 1 The Inventor Who Kept His Promise.
You can also download a free pdf file of these solutions
MULTIPLE CHOICE TYPE QUESTIONS
Select the most suitable alternative to complete each of the following statements:
1. Edison told his teacher, “But the kites have no wings and still we can fly them in the sky. It was ……….. [2011, 14, 17]
(a) a silly statement.
(b) an intelligent statement.
(c) a doubtful statement.
(d) a wrong statement.
2. Edison gave his teacher ……….
(a) a silly answer.
(b) an intelligent answer.
(c) a doubtful answer.
3. When Edison went on asking questions in the class, the teacher thought that …………..
[2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16,17]
(a) he was trying to befool her.
(b) he was stupid and naughty. “
(c) he was very intelligent.
4. Edison was fond of …….. [2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18]
(a) telling stories.
(b) playing games.
(c) doing experiments.
(d) flying kites. (upboardsolutions)
5. when Edison tried his experiment on his servant girl, …. [2013, 15, 16, 17, 18]
(a) she began to fly.
(b) she fell down on the ground.
(c) she fell ill.
(d) she started running.
6. Edison got a beating from his mother because ………. [2012, 14, 15, 16]
(a) he had smashed the eggs and spoilt his shorts.
(b) he had hatched the eggs.
(c) he had eaten up all the eggs.
7. Edison’s father gave him twenty-five cents for every book he read because ……… [2012, 15, 18]
(a) he had failed in all his experiments.
(b) he wanted Edison to read more.
(c) Edison’s ideas were wrong.
(d) he was a funny boy.
8. Electric light shone for the first time in America in …….. [2011, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18]
(d) 1872 (UPBoardSolutions)
9. The scientist who invented electric light was …….
(a) an Indian.
(b) an American.
(c) a German.
(d) an Austrian.
10. Edison was taken out of the school because …………… [2011, 15, 17]
(a) his teacher was dissatisfied with him and wanted him to be withdrawn from school.
(b) he was dissatisfied with the teacher.
(c) the teacher did not permit Edison to ask questions.
11. Edison’s parents took him out of the school because ……..
(a) they lacked money.
(b) the teacher asked them to do so.
(C) the teacher was mad.
(d) he was a dull boy.
12. Edison used his pocket money …..
(a) to buy sweets and chocolates.
(b) to buy books.
(c) to set up a small laboratory.
(d) to go out and see new places. (UPBoardSolutions)
13. He invented the gramophone in …
14. Edison became famous with the discovery of …………
(b) railway wagon.
15. Edison died on ……. [2014, 16, 17]
(a) 18th Oct. 1931.
(b) 13th Sept. 1929.
(c) 14th Sept. 1886.
(d) 2nd Nov. 1930.
16. Edison succeeded in making an electric bulb after nearly …….. [2012, 15, 18]
(a) one thousand experiments.
(b) two thousand experiments.
(c) one thousand and two hundred experiments.
(d) one thousand and five hundred experiments.
17. The teacher thought that Edison was:…………. 
(a) stubborn and haughty
(b) a genius
(c) stupid and naughty
(d) very mischievous
18. The silver jubilee of the invention of the electric bulb was celebrated in : 
(d) 1929 (UPBoardSolutions)
State whether the following statements are ‘True’ or ‘False’:
1. Thomas Alva Edison was a German. [2011, 16, 17]
2. The teacher thought that Edison was stupid and naughty.
3. For Edison his mother was the best teacher. [2011, 12, 14, 16]
4. Young Edison found in his mother his tolerable teacher.
5. Edison bought toys and sweets with the pocket money his father gave him. [2012, 14, 16]
6. When Edison offered a wonderful mixture made from pulped worms to the servant girl, she refused to drink it.
7. Edison was born in Canada. [2009, 11, 14]
8. The Silver Jubilee of the invention of electric light was celebrated in 1929. 
9. Edison was a dull boy during his student days. [2012, 15, 18]
10. Edison promised to give Americans electric light in one year.
11. Edison took up a job in the railways when he was just twelve years old.
12. Electric lights shone for the first time in America in 1880.
13. Edison did not serve his (UPBoardSolutions) country during the First World War.
14. Edison died on 4th September 1882.
15. Edison did not thank the President for the award. 
16. Edison succeeded in inventing the electric light after performing a thousand experiments.
17. Edison served his country during the First World War. 18. Edison showed his talking machine to the President of the United States of America at the White House in Washington.
19. As a child, Edison was fond of asking questions. [2013, 17]
20. As a child, Edison was not fond of asking questions. [2012, 14]
21. Edison was taken out of school because he was a stupid boy.
22. Edison was fond of books and read a lot of them.
23. Edison was never satisfied till he got the right answer. [2009, 14, 15, 18]
24. Edison was a German scientist. [2009, 11, 16]
25. Some of Edison’s experiments were silly but he learned a lot from them. [2009, 17]
26. Edison was born in India. 
27. Edison got a beating from his mother because he had eaten all the eggs.
28. Edison invented the gramophone in 1877.
29. Thomas Alva Edison was a great inventor of England. [2012, 15, 18]
30. Edison made the world happier and brighter.
31. Edison said, “I shall never invent anything which will destroy life. I want to make people happy.” [2010, 11, 12 16, 17]
32. The President of America invited Edison to the White House. [2010, 11]
33. On 4th Sept 1882, for the first time, New York shone in the brightness of electric light. [2011, 13, 17] (UPBoardSolutions)
34. Even in his childhood Edison loved to do experiments. [2012, 14, 15, 16, 17]
35. Parents of Edison did not encourage him in his experiment. [2013, 18]
36. Edison was a great American sailor. [2013, 16]
37. The President of the USA received (UPBoardSolutions) Edison and honored him in a big function. [2013, 16]
38. Edison did not join the railways. 
39. Edison made forty war-time inventions. [2014, 15]
40. Edison promised his mother to give her a dollar every night from what he earned. 
41. Edison served his country during World War II. [2015, 18]
42. Edison succeeded in making an electric bulb. 
43. Edison joined the railways because he needed more money for his experiments. 
44. Edison invented many things which can destroy life. 
45. Edison was a great inventor but he was never awarded a medal for his inventions. 
46. Thomas Alva Edison was a great singer. 
47. Edison was born in England. 
48. Edison made more than one thousand experiments. [2016, 17]
49. The invention of his talking machine (UPBoardSolutions.com) made Edison famous all over America. 
50. Edison was an Australian scientist. 
1. F. 2. T. 3. T. 4. F. 5. F. 6. F. 7. F. 8. T. 9. T. 10. F. 11. T. 12. T. 13. F. 14. F. 15. T. 16. F. 17. T, 18. T,19. T, 20. F, 21. T, 22. T, 23. T, 24. F, 25. T. 26. F, 27. F,28. F, 29. F, 30. T, 31. T, 32. T, 33.T, 34. T, 35. T, 36. F, 37. T, 38. F. 39. T, 40. T, 41. F. 42. T. 43. T. 44. F, 45. F, 46. F,47. F, 48. T. 49. T, 50. F.
SHORT ANSWER TYPE QUESTIONS
Answer the following questions in about 25 words :
who was Edison? Describe the invention that made him famous all over America.
who was Edison? How did he become famous all over America? 
Edison was a famous American scientist who invented the electric light and gramophone that made him famous all over America. (UPBoardSolutions)
who invented electric light?
Edison invented electric light.
what did Edison love in his childhood?
Edison loved to do experiments in his childhood.
why was Edison taken out of school? [2009, 11, 12]
Edison was taken out of school because his teacher thought that he was naughty and stupid.
How did Edison find his mother the best teacher for him ? [2010, 13, 14,.17]
Edison found his mother as his best teacher because she always gave a satisfactory answer to his questions and helped him in all his experiments. (UPBoardSolutions)
What did Edison think when he saw the bird flying?
When Edison saw the bird flying, he thought, “Man can also fly if he eats worms.
what did Edison see at the poultry farm one day?
One day at the poultry farm Edison saw a hen sitting on its eggs.
why did the poor girl fall ill? what did Edison’s mother warn him?
Edison gave the poor girl a mixture of worms to drink. So she fell ill. Edison’s mother warned him not to do such silly experiments.
what was the funny experiment for which Edison was punished?
why did Edison get a beating from his mother? 
Once Edison saw a hen sitting on its eggs. His other told him that the hen was hatching its eggs so that chickens may come out of the eggs. The next morning he got a dozen of eggs and sat on them. He had only smashed the eggs and spoil his shorts. He got a good beating as punishment by his mother for his experiment.
why did Edison join the railways? How much did he earn on the first day? [2011, 14, 17]
Edison joined the railways to earn some money to meet the expenses of his experiments. He earned two dollars on the first day.
why was Edison dismissed from his job?
Edison was dismissed from his job because during a journey there was a fire in the compartment of the train on account of his carelessness.
what did Edison need more money for?
Edison needed more money to carry on his experiments.
Describe the important inventions made by Edison.[2011, 12, 15, 16]
What inventions were made by Edison? 
Edison invented the gramophone and electric light besides many other inventions.
How did Edison become famous in America?
Edison became famous in America by inventing the gramophone and electric light.(UPBoardSolutions)
After how many experiments did Edison succeed in inventing electric light?
Edison succeeded in inventing the electric light after about twelve hundred experiments.
What did Edison promise to the people of America? [2011, 14, 16, 17]
Edison promised the people of America that he would give them electric light in two years.
when did the company manager give Edison a good job?
When Edison repaired a machine within a short time, the company manager gave him a good job.
In what way did Edison make the world happy? [2009, 11, 12, 17, 18]
Edison made the world happy by inventing the gramophone and electric light.
Why did his teacher think that Edison was stupid and naughty? [2012, 15, 16]
What made the teacher think that Edison was stupid and naughty?
Edison asked his teacher different types of questions. So his teacher thought that Edison was stupid and naughty.
How did Edison serve his country during the First World War?[2015, 17]
Why was Edison awarded a medal? [2014, 15, 16]
Edison served his country during the First World War by making forty war-time inventions. For this service, he was awarded a medal. (UPBoardSoutions)
How did Edison keep his promise to his countrymen?
What promise did Edison keep? 
What was the promise that Edison kept?
Edison promised his countrymen to give them electric light. He did 1200 experiments and gave electric light to his countrymen. Thus he kept his promise. (UPBoardSolutions)
Edison said, “I would like to give to the world laughter and more light. Did he keep his word? How ? .
Yes, Edison kept his word by the invention of the gramophone and gave more laughter while the invention of electric light gave more light and happiness to the world,
what happened on the Silver Jubilee of electric light?
At the Silver Jubilee of electric light, the President of the U.S.A. honored Edison, and when Edison stood to thank the President he suddenly fell ill.
How did the great and eventful life of Edison end? [2012, 15]
In the Silver Jubilee function when Edison got up to thank the President, he suddenly fell ill and died on the morning of 18th October 1931. Thus the great and eventful life of Socrates ended.
What did the other scientists say when Edison started work on an electric bulb?
Why did all the scientists laugh at Edison? [2014, 18]
When Edison started work on an electric bulb, other scientists laughed and said that it was impossible.
what did Edison promise to his mother? How did he keep it?
Edison promised his mother to give him a dollar every night from what he earned. He gave him the money and kept his promise.
How did the fire accident occur?
One day he was doing an experiment in his laboratory, the train turned around a corner. A bit of phosphorus fell on the floor of his carriage and it caught fire.
How did Edison’s father encourage him to read more books?
Why did Edison’s father give him twenty-five cents for every book?
Edison was fond of reading books. His father encouraged him by giving him 25 cents for reading a book.
Which of Edison’s inventions do you think is the most important and why? [2010, 15]
Describe the important invention made by Edison. 
Edison was a brilliant scientist of his age. He is known for many useful inventions. But he is famous for the invention of the electric bulb. The invention of the electric bulb is a boon for humankind. If he did not invent the electric bulb, then we live in darkness today. (UPBoardSolutions)
why has the life of Edison been called great and eventful? 
The life of Edison has been called great and eventful because he gave the world more laughter and more light by inventing the gramophone and the electric bulb.
for more UP Board Solutions follow on (Google News) and share with friends.