In this article, we have share UP Board Solutions for Class 10 English Poetry Chapter 4 The Nation Builders. These solutions are solved by subjects experts.
UP Board Solutions for Class 10 English Poetry Chapter 4 The Nation Builders (Ralph Waldo Emerson).
CENTRAL IDEA OF THE POEM
[2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18]
The poet R. W. Emerson says that not wealth but only men can make a nation great. If we want our nation to be great, we have to be brave, courageous and hard-working. These qualities would provide a strong base on which a great, strong and glorious building of a nation can stand.
APPRECIATION OF THE POEM
who can make a nation great and strong?
Only people can make a nation great and strong. (UPBoardSolutions)
What type of men are needed to make a nation great and powerful?
Brave, hard-working and courageous men can make a nation strong.
Read the following stanzas and answer the questions put thereupon :
(1) Not gold, but on by …………….. fast and suffer long. [2009, 18]
1. Write the title of the poem from which the above lines have been taken. Who is the author of the poem?
2. What type of people do we need to make a nation great and strong?
Who can make a nation great and strong?
3. Why can’t gold make a nation great?
Explain the expressions given below :
Stand fast’, ‘suffer long.
4. What is the meaning of a people in the second line?
5. What does gold mean in the poem?
6. What do brave men do for truth and honour’s sake?
1. The title of the poem from which (UPBoardSolutions) the above lines have been taken is ‘The Nation Builders. The author of this poem is Ralph Waldo Emerson.
2. To make a nation great and strong we need men who can stand to fight and suffer for a long time for the sake of truth and honour.
3. Gold can’t make a nation great because it has no life.
The given expression means the people who are firm and can suffer for their country.
4. A people’ means a nation’.
5. In the poem gold means material wealth or money.
6. Brave men stand fast and suffer long for truth and honour’s sake.
(2) Brave men who……. lift them to the sky. [2010, 11, 13, 16, 17]
1. What does this line mean here: ‘who work while others sleep.
2. What is the gist of the above-noted stanza? How can a nation be built strong?
3. What type of men help to build a strong foundation of a nation?
How can a nation be built strong?
who build a nation’s pillars deep?
4. What does the poet mean by ‘And lift them to the sky?
5. What are the qualities of brave men given in this stanza?
6. What do brave men do while others sleep?
1. This line means that the brave (UPBoardSolutions.com) people work hard while others pass their time
2. The gist of the stanza is that nation needs brave, courageous and hard-working people. The nation can be built strong by our bravery, courage and hard work.
3. The people who are hard-working and courageous help to build a strong foundation of a nation.
A nation can be made strong by hard work and courage.
4. The poet means by this line that those people raise the nation to a great height.
5. The qualities of brave men are that
- they work while others sleep and
- they hold courage when others run away.
6. Brave men work hard while others sleep.
ADVICE OF THE POET
The poet advises us to work for the nation sincerely and laboriously. We should face all the challenges bravely for making our nation great. We should sacrifice all our pleasures for the sake of our nation.
for more UP Board Solutions follow on (Google News) and share with friends.