We have share UP Board Solutions for Class 10 English Prose Chapter 5 Torch Bearers with pdf file. These solutions are solved by subject experts.
UP Board Solutions for Class 10 English Prose Chapter 5 Torch Bearers (W.M. Ryburn)
(a) Match the words in List ‘A’ with their nearest meanings in List ‘B’:
|1. List ‘A’||List ‘B’|
|Insist||To make repeated request|
|Look after||Take care|
Table of Contents
Fill in the Blanks:
(b) Fill in the blanks with the words given below :
(1) Words : inhospitable, treated, held, spend.
1. The Olympic Games were held in London in 1948.
2. Being inhospitable is a sign of bad culture.
3. He was forced to spend the night in the open.
4. Some villagers treated Guru (UPBoardSolutions.com) Nanak very kindly.
(2) Words : influence, protested, cultivate, enlightened.
1. He used his influence to get his son admitted to the Medical College.
2. The more knowledge we gain, the more enlightened we become.
3. The captain of our team protested against the judgement.
4. We can cultivate good habits by regular practice.
UP Board Solutions
(c) Use the following words in your own sentences so as to make their meanings clear :
disciple, message, hospitable, reception, responsibility, talents
1. Mardana was Guru Nanak’s disciple.
2. When we leave school, we have a message to carry for others.
3. Some people welcome the visitors. They are hospitable.
4. Mr. Clinton was given a (UPBoardSolutions.com) grand reception.
5. It is the responsibility of every student to keep his classroom clean.
6. Different people have different talents but they should use them in the service of the country.
SHORT ANSWER TYPE QUESTIONS
Answer the following questions in about 25 words :
what did the old man do all his life ? what was its result? [2013, 16, 17]
What did the old merchant do all his life ?
The old man worked hard all his life, buying and selling things. Its result was that he had earned a lot of money and had become rich.
what did the old man feel one day ?
One day the old man felt that he had not long to remain in this world and his end was near. He felt the need of disposing his money before his death.
To whom did the old man want to give all his money ? [2012, 14, 16]
(बूढ़ा व्यक्ति सारा धन किसको देना चाहता था ?)
The old man wanted to give all his money to one of his sons who proved himself to be the cleverer of the two.
what was the problem before the old man ? How did he solve it ?
What did the merchant finally decide ?
Ans. The problem before the old man was to find out which of the two sons was cleverer. He solved it by giving them a test.
what did he say to his sons in the lesson “Torch Bearers’ ? 
He gave his two sons one rupee each. He asked them to go separately and buy something in a couple of days which would fill the whole house.
UP Board Class 10th English Solutions
what did the first son do after taking a rupee ? 
The first son wandered in the market here and there. He did not think much and bought a load of hay for a rupee.
what did the second son do before buying anything? 
Before buying anything the second son who was really clever, sat down and thought about what he should buy with his rupee.
How did the second son prove that he was more intelligent than his elder brother ?
How did the second son show true wisdom? [2012, 15, 16, 18]
which of the two sons of the merchant was wiser and how? 
The second son purchased a few candles with his rupee and filled the entire house with their light. Thus, he proved that he was more intelligent than his elder brother.
How can we prove to be a good citizen of our country? 
We can prove to be a good citizen of our country by using our powers and abilities in the service of the country.
what does a good citizen do?
Why should we try to become good citizens ? [2011, 14, 15]
Why do we need to become good citizens ? [2012, 16,18]
A good citizen loves and serves his country. He uses his powers and abilities to try to spread light into all parts of his country. So we need to become good citizens.
Up Board Solutions
How can we use these powers and abilities to spread light over all parts of our country ? .
How can we fill our country with the light of good citizenship ? 
How can we serve our country as good citizens ? Ur How can we serve our country as good citizens ? 
We can use these powers and abilities to spread light over all parts of our country by becoming good citizens and by spending ourselves in the service of our country.
What have ‘hay’ and ‘light been compared to ?
‘Hay’ has been compared to useless works and light’ has been compared to good deeds and service of the country.
LONG ANSWER TYPE QUESTIONS
Answer the following questions in about 60 words:
what was the problem with the old merchant? How did he solve it ?
Why did the old merchant give one rupee to each of his two sons ? How did they spend their rupees ?
How did the merchant find out that his second son (younger son) was cleverer than his first son (elder son) ?
What test did the old merchant give to his two sons to find out who was the cleverer of them? Why did he want to judge them ?
What did the two sons do with their rupee? How did the second son prove himself cleverer than the first son? (2015, 18)
why was the old merchant pleased with his second son? 
Once upon a time there was an old man. He worked hard all his life, buying and selling things. Its result was that he had earned a lot of money and had become rich. He had two sons. When he became old, he had a problem-whom he should give his money. He wanted to give it to the son who proved to be wiser. To solve this problem, he gave each of them one rupee.
Then he asked them to buy a thing which may fill the whole house with it. The first son bought a careful of hay. But it was not enough to (UPBoardSolutions.com) cover even the floor. The second son bought many candles for one rupee. He put two or three candles in each room and lit them. At once the whole house was filled with light. The father was pleased with the second son. He said he had shown true wisdom. So he gave all the money to his second son.
UP Board Solutions
What are the different powers and abilities given to us ? How can citizens use them to spread light over all parts of our country ? 
How can we fill our country with the light of good citizenship ?
What different powers have we been given? 
The different powers given to us are powers of body, powers of mind and powers of character. Each one of us has strength, time and intelligence. Proper and thoughtful use of these powers makes us good citizens. A good citizen is a center of light wherever he lives and whatever he is doing. So we can use these powers to spread light over all parts of our country by becoming good citizens.
write a character-sketch of the old merchant in “Torch Bearers’.[2009, 14]
Good patron of his money : The old merchant was a good patron of his money. He did not want to give it to the son who could not use wisely. So he gave them a test.
Impartiality : The old merchant was an impartial father. He gave one rupee to each to purchase anything to fill the house. According to condition his second son filled the house to lit the candles with ved himself wiser than first son. He gave his all money to the second son.
Conclusion : With the above description it proves that the old merchant was very hard worker, impartial and honest man.
Comprehension Questions on Paragraphs
(1) Once upon a time, …………..giving the matest. [ From passage 1 ]
1. When did he think of passing the money in the safe hands?
2. What did he do all his life?
3. What did he do to divide his money between his two sons ?
4. How had the old merchant spent all his life ?
5. What was the result of the merchant’s hard work ?
6. What was the problem ? How did he decide to solve it ?
What did the old merchant decide at last ?
1. One day he felt that he had not long to remain in this world then, he thought of passing the money in the safe hands.
2. All his life he worked hard (UPBoardSolutions.com) for buying and selling the articles.
3. He planned in his mind that he would give his money to that son who was found out cleverer. For this, he gave a test of both sons.
4. The old merchant had spent all his life in working hard and earning money.
5. The result of merchant’s hard work was that he gathered a lot of money.
6. The problem was to find out the cleverer son. He decided to solve it by giving them a test.
(2) Now, we all live in ……………….. service of our country. [From passage 4 [2010, 16]]
What different powers have we all been given ?
Which powers do we all possess ?
2. How are we tested as we leave school and go out into the world ?
3. What does the author mean by hay and light in the given passage ?
4. What is a big house’ compared with by the author?
5. How shall we serve our country as good citizens ?
6. What do we carry as we leave school?
7. What should we try to be good citizens ?
1. The powers which we have been given are:
- powers of body,
- Powersof mind,
- powers of character.
2. We are actually tested when (UPBoardSolutions.com) we leave school and go into the world whether we use these powers in useless things or in spreading light.
3. In the given passage the author means by ‘hay useless things and by “light good citizenship.
4. A big house’ is compared with our native country.
5. We shall serve our country as good citizens by using our powers and abilities to spread light into all parts of our country.
6. As we leave school, we carry some talents with us which we possess.
7. We should try to be good citizen so that we may use our powers and abilities to spread light into all parts of our country.
for more UP Board solutions follow on (Google News) and share with friends.